Here are some things that I want to include (or am at least considering including) in this process:
- Areas for at least five different civilizations (European Feudal, Chinese, Japanese, Middle-eastern, and Indian)
- Remnants of an ancient and more advanced civilization, half-remembered, with the idea that there are constant attempts to return to that "golden age"
- An area where there is a frontier, into which civilization is slowly spreading, requiring adventurer types to scout and clear regions before settlers begin to arrive
- That frontier area may be linked directly to that lost civilization, or may not, depending on how it plays out in the design phase
- Intrigue on a political as well as religious plane; true religious animosities and schisms should be present to provide difficulties and opportunities for the PCs
- Perhaps have the pantheons of the different religions all be "echoes" of the One True Religion which the ancient civilization practiced (deities are similar, but not identical, across pantheons)
- Opportunities for large-scale wargaming to be played out with miniatures
Comments welcome. Would this be the sort of world you'd like to game in?