Saturday, November 10, 2012

Am I A Proper Wargamer?

Apologies for coming late to the party on this one, but we only got power back a few hours ago, 12 days after we were blacked out by Sandy.

Phil, over at The Wargaming Site, came up with a clever little quiz to determine whether or not one is a "Proper Wargamer". It's pretty simple, but bear in mind it's aimed at the miniatures game crowd. (I'm sure some clever wag will soon come up with a similar list for RPGs.) Have I ever...


* Spent at least £500 on figures / tanks - and you get extra kudos for every £500 you've spent

Oh sweet Gods yes.

* Pricked your finger or thumb on a pike block - several times

Pike block, no. Spearmen stand, yes. I'm going to give myself this one.

* Tried at least 10 different rule sets and vowed never to play half of them ever again

Actually not. I've got my comfort zone and I rarely stray too far from it.

* Bought an army off EBay

Yes.

* Sold an army on EBay

No; I can't imagine anyone would actually want anything I painted.

* spent months painting an army - then used it in anger once

Umm... does "used it in anger never" count?

* tried several different periods and genres

Ayup. Napoleonics 15mm Ogre/GEV 6mm, medieval 15mm, renaissance naval 1/2400...

* dropped a box of figures on the floor from a great height

I am sad to say yes. They fared well, however.

* lost a battle on the last throw of the dice

Yes, at this year's DexCon. Damn you lord Percy!!!

* made at least one enemy for life

Well, yes. But I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be about gaming.

* had a proper, stand up argument over a wargamers table

Hehehehehehee... Oh yeah.

* thrown a dice across a room

No, I tend to take my frustrations out against walls and pillars with my fists.

* rebased an army for a different rule set

No, but I certainly foresee it happening.

* inflicted a whopping defeat on an opponent

Oh, yeah. Ogre, anyone?

* suffered an embarrassing defeat due to a stupid tactical decision

Yes, when given the choice of having the table broad or narrow, I chose broad, despite having an overwhelming superiority in cannon. I paid the price for my lack of vision.

* joined a wargamers club

Yes, and eventually became treasurer of the Boston University Simulation Society. Since disbanded.

* bought a ton of lead that remains unpainted

You've been peeking in my office, haven't you?

* been to a wargamers show

I assume this means a convention. Oh, Hel yeah.

* have more dice than is logical or necessary to own - and have used most of them

Yes. You buy them because you "need" them, then use them once, and realize that you prefer your old dice. I've got a pile of dice like this.

* have taken boxes of troops down to a club just to show them off to your mates

I'm going to count the time I had people over to the house and showed off my 1/2400 renaissance ships, despite the fact that they've never actually been used in a game. I'm still looking for proper rules, honest.

4 comments:

Phil Broeders said...

Joseph, it would be great for someone to come up with an 'Are you a proper RPG'er'. Hopefully someone will pick up the gauntlet.

Joshua said...

That poundsign weakened an otherwise high value in dollars for me, haha!

I think the saddest part of my wargaming experience is that despite how much my collection's varied, the only thing I've actually played any good measure of is freaking 40k.

J de Jong said...

Hi Greyhawk Grognard,

I used your answers to Phil Broeder's list for a wider analysis of the questions. You might be interested in the results. See here:
http://jurrga.blogspot.nl/2012/11/proper-wargamers-analysing-evidence.html

cheers
Jur

J de Jong said...

And here's part two

http://jurrga.blogspot.nl/2012/11/what-do-real-rather-than-proper.html

cheers
Jur