Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pathfinder Tops D&D Again

According to the latest estimates released by ICV2.com, Pathfinder was once again the sales leader in the RPG field this summer, beating out the "genre-defining title" Dungeons & Dragons. Rounding out the field are Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader by FFG, Dragon Age, and Dungeon Crawl Classics.

I've got to say that last one surprises me a bit, but I'm pleased as anything that something that is deliberately being aimed at the old-school market is doing so well when stacked up against all the other RPGs that are out there. Even if I don't personally care for it, it's helping my corner of the hobby, and thus I wish it well.

Bear in mind that these are estimates based on a variety of different sources, since most gaming companies don't publish straightforward sales statistics. They're still regarded as pretty much the only source for comparison. 

3 comments:

Spawn of Endra said...

I'd be interested to see what the sales numbers are for these to see the how much of a drop-off there is after the first two. You know, is DCC a distant fifth or what?

Callin said...

I am really surprised WotC was even on the list with the little they released during that time frame. Paizo puts out about 4-6 rpg products a month and WotC about 1 rpg item per month.

kensan-oni said...

Actually, with WOTC so devoted to publicly promoting their new edition playtesting, I'm surprised any product for their D&D line is being sold at all...

... although, for old times sake, Dungeon begs for my dollars.