Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fun With Hexographer

Late last year I discovered Hexographer, which is an excellent and quite versatile program for creating maps suitable for use with RPGs, wargames, etc. (both fantasy and sci-fi). That, and the equally excellent Dungeonographer now adorn my laptop, and I'll be getting the non-free version of Joe's Coat of Arms Design Studio to continue my Greyhawk coats of arms. Lately I've been playing with Hexographer in particular, now that I'm rolling out a new campaign setting, called Erseta. Here's a small portion of what I've come up with, not following the instructions on creating Darlene-lookalike maps, but taking those instructions as my inspiration for my own:

Click to embiggen, and players in my current campaign feel free to do so. You won't be spoiling anything. The whole thing isn't complete, obviously, but this will give you a little idea of the neat sort of effects the program can do. And I'm just dabbling, still; it's really capable of a whole range of other styles and effects. I heartily encourage those interested in cartography to check it and its companion program out; I can see uses for this in wargames and miniatures gaming as well as straight-out RPGs, both to create scenario maps and campaign maps.

7 comments:

R.W. Chandler said...

That is quite an awesome map!

Roger the GS said...

Digging the Catalan place names in Tamaria!

Northy said...

That certainly is a beautiful looking map - makes me want to redo all of mine of Imperial Gladdon. Curses!

Joseph said...

Ha! Excellent, Roger. Wasn't sure anyone would notice.

succubicurious said...

Looks good. I like the way you left some of the hills exposed when you cover them with forests.

If you can add a banking effect to make the rivers stand out a little more, I think you'll have it perfect. I'm going to try a map in this style...

ADB said...

Thank you for the links - most impressed by your map

Andrew

Ralph said...

Very nice. Exact same look as the old GH maps, can't beat it.