New Haven Games is apparently doing a "remake" (as opposed to a "clone") of the AD&D 2nd Edition rules, which they are calling Realms of Eternal Epic. They haven't come out with an official press release announcement yet, but from their forums:
Ro2E is not a clone by definition. In fact, most of the clones have slight dissimilarities for legal reasons. We call it a "remake" because we have retained about 80% of the game, and only SLIGHTLY tweaked the other 20%. That 20% also includes the simple turning-the-rule-on-its-head change. Is it exactly the same game? Probably not. Is it a twin that sort of strayed from the family farm? Probably. See, we had two choices. We could have copied the entire original game or we could have refashioned some of it. From a legal and game development standpoint, we made the right decision. From the opinions of our self-fashioned grognard playtesters, we made the right decision. So, in a nutshell, Ro2E may still be what you're looking for, even if you wanted a pure clone. At least test out the free Starter Set before passing off.As I've said before, I was a huge 2E fan back in the day, kits and all, even though I've moved back to 1E in more recent years, so this will most definitely be on my radar. It also appears to be very far away from my own concept for Adventures Dark and Deep™, so there shouldn't be any issues with direct competition. This is exciting news, and I know a lot of people have been asking for a "living" version of 2E for a while, now. good luck, New Haven Games!